Besides your injuries, you can claim for losses which you have suffered as a consequence of the accident or injury. Common types of loss include:
- Travel expenses – such as for journeys to medical appointments, treatment sessions, your GP, or the hospital.
- Care and assistance – if friends or family had to help you due to your injuries.
- Loss of earnings – from time taken off work.
- Medical expenses and treatment costs.
However, your injuries will often be the greatest harm or loss you have suffered in the accident. Many factors are looked at when determining how much compensation should be awarded for your injury. These include:
- The pain and discomfort you have experienced.
- The duration of your symptoms.
- How your injuries have affected your life.
- The extent of treatment and/or medication you required (or continue to require).
- Whether you have suffered multiple injuries.