Home » Balance of Probabilities

Balance of Probabilities

The balance of probabilities is the standard of proof used in civil law cases.

A standard of proof is the extent to which you have to prove something for it to be accepted by a Court. So, for example, if you are trying to prove that you lost £1,000 in earnings following a personal injury, you will need to provide enough evidence to satisfy a Court that, on the balance of probabilities, you incurred that loss.

What is actually meant by the balance of probabilities?

To prove something on the balance of probabilities is to prove that it is ‚Äòmore likely than not‚ A. So, going back to the example above, you would have to prove that it was ‚Äòmore likely than not‚ A that you had incurred your ¬£1,000 lost earnings, in order to meet the required standard of proof.

It might also help to think of the balance in terms of actual probabilities. If two competing versions of events are considered to be equally likely, you could picture them as being equally balanced at a 50% chance each. But as soon as one version is considered to be more likely, the scales will tip in its favour, with, for example, a 60% likelihood meaning that the competing version is only 40% likely.

It is important throughout the case

It is not just when (or if) a case goes to Court that the standard of proof becomes important. Lawyers on both sides will use it to assess the strengths and weaknesses of a case. When doing so, they will always have in mind the question: ‚ÄòCan that be proved, on the balance of probabilities, if the case ends up in Court?‚ A

When you are making a claim, normally it is for you and your solicitor to prove the different elements of that claim on the balance of probabilities. It is not for the other side to disprove it. This means that a claim can still fail if you do not prove all of the required elements on the balance of probabilities ‚ A even if the other side says nothing in their own defence.

These ‚Äòrequired elements‚ A will change depending on the claim you are making. For example, in a personal injury claim, you must prove that the other party was responsible for your injury and prove the extent of the harm and other losses you have suffered ‚ A all on the balance of probabilities.

The civil law standard of proof

The balance of probabilities only applies to civil law matters. You will probably have heard of the more-famous criminal law standard of proof: beyond reasonable doubt. Just as it sounds, it is a much higher standard of proof than the balance of probabilities.

If you are unclear on the kinds of cases would fall within the civil law, some examples include:

Even some matters which involve criminal events can be civil law cases, such as:

Speak to us about your case
Harrogate 01423 788 538
Leeds 0113 483 1200

Simply fill out a few details, a summary of your case and we’ll get in touch with you within 4 hours.

social

Share Post

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

get in touch

We’re not like
other law firms

Ethically driven

Truth Legal was founded on the idea of putting ethics at the centre of legal services. 

Ethical working is at our core: in treating people fairly, being open and honest, and taking social responsibility. We sponsor a large section of woodland near Harrogate, planting a tree for every one of the clients we represent.

Real lawyers, real people

We believe a good lawyer shouldn’t just offer technical expertise, but a real understanding of what you’re going through and how best to help you. 

Above all, our team are dedicated to their clients – whether that is guiding them through legal complexities, securing compensation, or simply fighting for what’s right.

We won’t blind you with jargon – we give advice clearly. And when technical terms can’t be avoided we explain them in full.

Exceptional service

In contrast to some firms, we don’t overload our lawyers with cases. Our team provide clients with a more personal service, meaning we can dedicate the proper time to your matter.

Just read our client reviews to see what a difference this can make.

Fill out our quick online form with your details and we’ll come back to you

Consent(Required)

© 2022 Truth Legal Ltd is registered in England & Wales (08031477), VAT Registered (135 2552 31),
Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (568741).

Website by browndog.agency