Home » Subject Access Request (SAR)

Subject Access Request (SAR)

A ‚Äòsubject access request‚ A is a way of asking your employer, or any data controller, for copies of the personal information it holds about you.

The Data Protection Act 1998 allows individuals to ask organisations for the information they hold about you. In the case of your employer, this can include all your personnel records including your sickness records and absence records, and any staff reports that are held, as well as any emails in which you are mentioned.

Your employer may charge you to send you copies of your records – currently organisations can charge up to ¬£10 for a subject access request. Once the General Data Protection Regulation comes into force in May 2018, employers won‚ A normally be able to charge a fee.

Why make a Subject Access Request from your employer?

If you believe that you are being treated unfairly, or that you are being discriminated against in some way, it can be helpful to see your employment records and emails. Your records may include notes that have been written about you by your managers or other people in the organisation. Often there is a treasure trove of email information which is derogatory towards an employee. It could have details of meetings that have been about you which you were not involved in.

How to make a Subject Access Request

It‚ A as well to do your research before you make the request, so you know who to send your subject access request to, and whether there is a fee, so you can include all this with your request. This will reduce delays.

Once you have made your subject access request to your employer, your employer must respond within 40 days from the day they receive the fee from you and have enough information to identify you and the information you need.

If your employer doesn‚ A respond within 40 days, or doesn‚ A send all the information you think they are holding about you, you can challenge this. In some cases, though, your employer may be able to keep back some information if it also refers to someone else. In that case, your employer can only give you the information if the other person agrees, or if it would be reasonable to pass on the information without the other person agreeing.

You can make a subject access request to any organisation that controls personal data about you, not just your employer. You can get more information from the Office of the Information Commissioner.

What if your employer doesn‚ A comply with the Subject Access Request?

Often an employer will try to avoid complying with a Subject Access Request. If you want to push the matter, you could report your employer to the Information Commissioner‚ A Office (ICO). The ICO has the power to fine an employer. In addition, it is possible for someone to issue court proceedings in the County Court for a failure to adhere to the Data Protection Act 1998.

Speak to us about your case
Harrogate 01423 788 538
Leeds 0113 483 1200

Simply fill out a few details, a summary of your case and we’ll get in touch with you within 4 hours.


Share Post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

get in touch

We’re not like
other law firms

Ethically driven

Truth Legal was founded on the idea of putting ethics at the centre of legal services. 

Ethical working is at our core: in treating people fairly, being open and honest, and taking social responsibility. We sponsor a large section of woodland near Harrogate, planting a tree for every one of the clients we represent.

Real lawyers, real people

We believe a good lawyer shouldn’t just offer technical expertise, but a real understanding of what you’re going through and how best to help you. 

Above all, our team are dedicated to their clients – whether that is guiding them through legal complexities, securing compensation, or simply fighting for what’s right.

We won’t blind you with jargon – we give advice clearly. And when technical terms can’t be avoided we explain them in full.

Exceptional service

In contrast to some firms, we don’t overload our lawyers with cases. Our team provide clients with a more personal service, meaning we can dedicate the proper time to your matter.

Just read our client reviews to see what a difference this can make.

Fill out our quick online form with your details and we’ll come back to you


© 2022 Truth Legal Ltd is registered in England & Wales (08031477), VAT Registered (135 2552 31),
Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (568741).

Website by browndog.agency