Home » Free guide: security staff and doorman criminal injuries claims

Free guide: security staff and doorman criminal injuries claims

May 31, 2013,
Andrew Gray,

Countless doormen and security staff are failing to claim thousands of pounds in compensation for the injuries sustained whilst doing their jobs. Few people have heard of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, which is a government scheme that pays compensation to innocent victims of crime.

This is particularly relevant to security staff and doormen who often deal with incidents within their occupation. Incidents may lead to physical injuries, such as cuts, bruises or more serious bodily damage, as well as psychological injuries. Both types of injury may be claimed for, though compensation for mental injury is available only where the injury becomes ‘disabling.’

As a doorman or security personnel, you may be able to claim if:

  1. You were doing your job professionally.
  2. You were assaulted and sustained an injury – physical and/or mental.
  3. It happened within the last two years.
  4. Your injuries were significant enough to warrant a minimum award of £1,000.
  5. You reported the incident to the police (or another appropriate body) as soon as you could.
  6. You cooperated with the police in their enquiries.
  7. If asked by the police, you helped to bring your attacker to justice. No conviction is necessary.

For an idea of how much your claim may be worth, here are some examples of compensation paid for common injuries:

– £2,400 for a fractured thumb with a continuing significant disability.

– £5,500 for significant disfigurement to the face.

– £1,000 for a damaged tooth requiring a crown.

– £3,500 for an injury leaving a permanently clicking jaw

You may be able to claim loss of earning and special expense too. Loss of earning constitute any loss to the amount of money you make, whether this is due to temporary time you had to take off work to heal your injuries or a longer-term impact on the type of work you are able to carry out. Special expense constitutes a separate head of claims which may include the cost of care and assistance, living expenses and adjustments, damaged items etc.

For more information on types of loss please see https://www.truthlegal.com/what-can-i-claim-for-in-my-personal-injury-claim/ and https://www.truthlegal.com/can-you-claim-for-care-in-a-personal-injury-accident/.

To summarise, here are some top tips:

  1. Always report the matter to the police and to your employer.
  2. If the police ask for statements, provide them and cooperate fully.
  3. Seek medical attention quickly from a GP and/or hospital, and for as long as the injury lasts.
  4. Take photos of your injuries.
  5. Seek legal advice quickly after an incident.

You don’t need a lawyer to bring a claim for you, but it is a good idea to instruct specialist solicitors such as Truth Legal because many criminal injuries claims are rejected on a technicality. As no legal fees are paid, Truth Legal would take 25% of the compensation on a no-win no fee basis.

Please contact Truth Legal on 01423 788538 or enquiries@truthlegal.com if you would like a free, no-obligation discussion.

This Free Guide is an overview only of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme rather than a full explanation of the law. If you have any questions about criminal injuries claims, please contact the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority or specialist solicitors such as Truth Legal. Please note: if you are assaulted you may be able to bring other personal injury claims as well as a Criminal Injuries claim.


Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

Post by

Andrew Gray

Andrew Gray

I launched Truth Legal in 2012 to provide the most caring, ethical and brilliant personal injury law representation. Usually personal injury claims are a good thing, modifying negligent behaviour, shifting the financial burden off the state and reducing future injuries. I also represent people who have been poorly treated at work. I’m proud that my team give away countless hours of free legal advice.

Some of our related posts

Fill out our online form and we’ll come back to you:


Or call us today:

Harrogate 01423 788 538
Leeds 0113 483 1200

Fill in our contact form or call today:

01423 788 538

0113 483 1200