Home » What are Some Sources of Compensation after an Assault in the Workplace?

What are Some Sources of Compensation after an Assault in the Workplace?

April 1, 2015,
Andrew Gray,
truth legal solicitors harrogate

You’ve been assaulted at work and would like to apply for compensation.

What options are available to you?

Life after a physical assault in the workplace can seem frightening and overwhelming. You may have reported the incident to the police and to your employer, and you may have received any necessary medical attention. However, the assault may have affected your ability to work and support yourself and your family. You may be falling into debt at an alarming rate, which can cause you further stress and anxiety. Fortunately, there are sources of compensation available to victims. You can use this funding to help yourself get back on track. Here are some of the ways you can earn compensation that you deserve after a workplace assault has happened to you.

Criminal Injuries Compensation Claims

It is usually recommended that if you are innocent victim of violent crime that you should pursue a criminal injuries compensation claim. This process is managed and run in the United Kingdom by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). This is a government-backed scheme that dispenses compensation to victims of violent crimes. You must also have reported your assault to the police. There are other very specific criteria that apply to pursuing compensation through the CICA, so it is a good idea to get in touch with a personal injury solicitor for guidance prior to making your claim. If this is the route you think you want to take towards compensation, then you must start your claim with the CICA within two years of the assault.

Your Employer

If you think that your assault was caused by your employer’s failure to provide a safe working environment, then you may be able to sue them for compensation. Perhaps your employer ignored violent people in the workplace which then culminated in your assault. Maybe they failed to carry out a risk assessment, as they are required to do by law. If this is the case, then you may have a case against them. You may be concerned about lodging a claim against your employer, but it may be the best way forward for you. You must begin legal proceedings within three years of the assault. It may be determined that your employer was not at fault for what happened to you. In this case, you may be better off submitting a claim to the CICA for compensation.

The Perpetrator

In some instances, you may be able to bring a civil claim against the person who attacked you. This option should really only be pursued if you are sure that the person who committed the assault can pay you compensation and also cover your legal costs. The last thing you want is to win a claim against them only to find that they cannot compensate you for your pain and suffering. You will want to hire a solicitor who has a good deal of experience with handling these claims.

Act Quickly if You Want Results

The most important thing to remember is that you should start the claims process as soon as possible. The sooner you begin to document what happened, the better your chances will be of receiving some form of compensation. It may be difficult and emotionally painful to recall specific details about the assault, but it will result in the financial compensation that you rightfully deserve.

If you are interested in pursuing a compensation claim after being assaulted at work, then you can count on the team at Assaulted at Work to provide you with top-quality legal guidance. We can discuss the facts of your case as well as any possible action plans that you would like to pursue. Please feel free to contact us at 0800 038 5321 for a no-obligation free consultation. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.

Previous post: Violence in the workplace: Don’t become a statistic!

Next post: What does “Duty of Care” actually mean?


Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

Post by

Andrew Gray

Andrew Gray

I launched Truth Legal in 2012 to provide the most caring, ethical and brilliant personal injury law representation. Usually personal injury claims are a good thing, modifying negligent behaviour, shifting the financial burden off the state and reducing future injuries. I also represent people who have been poorly treated at work. I’m proud that my team give away countless hours of free legal advice.

Some of our related posts

Fill out our online form and we’ll come back to you:


Or call us today:

Harrogate 01423 788 538
Leeds 0113 483 1200

Fill in our contact form or call today:

01423 788 538

0113 483 1200