Home » Sponsoring a Skilled Worker Under the New Entrant Rate

Sponsoring a Skilled Worker Under the New Entrant Rate

November 8, 2021,
Louis MacWilliam,
Skilled workers

If you want to sponsor an individual under a Skilled Worker sponsor licence, then minimum rates of pay apply. These rates can vary according to job role. However, if the individual you want to sponsor meets the definition of a ‘New Entrant’, then much lower rates apply, so it’s worth understanding how the New Entrant rate works.

But first the basics – work out the right SOC code

All jobs fall under a certain code, known as an SOC code. So, your first task is to identify the correct code. If you are not sure, then head to the Office for National Statistics’ website, and their helpful search code tool.Skilled workers

Once you have the appropriate SOC code, check what the applicable minimum rate of pay is – known as the ‘going rate’. We do this by checking the tables in Appendix Skilled Occupations. You will note that there is a sliding scale of going rates. The default, the highest rate, is for an ‘Experienced Worker’. There are then certain reductions, depending on the circumstances of the individual you want to sponsor. The best reduction is if the individual qualifies as a New Entrant.

Who qualifies as a New Entrant?

The most common three ways of being a New Entrant are if the individual being sponsored:

  • Is under 26 by the time they apply for their Skilled Worker visa;
  • Is a ‘recent graduate’ – meaning someone whose current or most recent grant of leave was as a Student/Tier 4, and that leave expired not more than two years prior to the date of the visa application. The individual must have been studying at degree level or above, and: (a) has completed the course, (b) is applying no more than three months prior to expected completion, or (c)is studying a PhD and has completed at least 12 months’ study in the UK towards that PhD; or
  • Holds valid permission to stay under the Graduate route or their most recent grant was under the Graduate route which expired less than two years prior to the date the new visa application is being submitted (unless the individual has since held leave as a visitor).

How does being a New Entrant affect the minimum salary?

If an individual qualifies for sponsorship as a New Entrant, then the employer must pay just 70% of the standard going rate, or the reduced general minimum salary threshold for New Entrants, whichever is higher.

Whereas the general minimum salary threshold is normally £25,600, for New Entrants it is just £20,480.

Here we can look at how being a New Entrant affects the minimum rate of pay for a couple of randomly chosen occupations. First of all, we will look at some examples for an ‘Experienced Worker’ (i.e. someone who is not a New Entrant or does not meet certain other criteria which offers discount), before looking at how the minimum rates of pay for the same SOC codes apply for a New Entrant.

Examples of Experienced Worker rates for Skilled Worker Sponsorship:

Job category Going rate – Experienced Worker General minimum salary – Experienced Worker Minimum you would pay if an Experienced Worker (i.e. higher of the two)
Human Resources Manager £36,400 £25,600 £36,400
Chef £18,900 £25,600 £25,600

However, if we look at jobs for a New Entrant, you can see the minimum pay rate is significantly less:

Examples of New Entrant rates for Skilled Worker Sponsorship

Job category Going rate – New Entrant General minimum salary New Entrant Minimum you would pay if a New Entrant (i.e. higher of the two) Comparing Experienced Worker vs New Entrant
Human Resources Manager £25,480 £20,480 £25,480 £36,400


£25,480 (New Entrant)

Chef £13,230 £20,480 £20,480 £25,600



As you can see from the above tables, being a New Entrant can make a big difference to minimum rates of pay.

Please note that the above rates are based on a 39-hour week. You must guarantee the above amounts even if the individual works fewer than 39 hours per week. The going rate increases if the individual will work more than 39 hours. However (confusingly), the general minimum rates apply for up to 48 hours per week.

New Entrants – what else do I need to know?

Importantly, you can only be a New Entrant for up to four years. This is problematic if you had intended to sponsor the individual for five years in the first instance – as you won’t be able to sponsor them for this long on New Entrant rates. You could sponsor them for four years relying on the lower New Entrant rate, but after four years you would need to sponsor them at the higher ‘experienced rate’.

Lastly, if you sponsor an individual relying on the New Entrant rate, then the Home Office want you to leave a Sponsor Note through your Sponsor Management System, by giving a brief explanation of how the individual meets the New Entrant criteria.

Truth Legal – Sponsor Licence Experts

Truth Legal are experts in all areas of immigration and specialise in all matters around sponsorship.

If you want to apply to apply for a Skilled Worker sponsor licence, or have any other issue relating to your sponsor licence or sponsorship, contact us for a free consultation today.


Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

Some of our related posts

We’re not like
other law firms

Ethically driven

Truth Legal was founded on the idea of putting ethics at the centre of legal services. 

Ethical working is at our core: in treating people fairly, being open and honest, and taking social responsibility. We sponsor a large section of woodland near Harrogate, planting a tree for every one of the clients we represent.

Real lawyers, real people

We believe a good lawyer shouldn’t just offer technical expertise, but a real understanding of what you’re going through and how best to help you. 

Above all, our team are dedicated to their clients – whether that is guiding them through legal complexities, securing compensation, or simply fighting for what’s right.

We won’t blind you with jargon – we give advice clearly. And when technical terms can’t be avoided we explain them in full.

Exceptional service

In contrast to some firms, we don’t overload our lawyers with cases. Our team provide clients with a more personal service, meaning we can dedicate the proper time to your matter.

Just read our client reviews to see what a difference this can make.

Fill out our quick online form with your details and we’ll come back to you


© 2022 Truth Legal Ltd is registered in England & Wales (08031477), VAT Registered (135 2552 31),
Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (568741).

Website by browndog.agency